Monday, February 19, 2007

AT WAR WITH MYSELF, AND WHY I CAN'T GET OFF THE LAZY TRAIN

There is so much that I want to do, and so much that I want to accomplish. But, man, am I lazy. My goal at the beginning of this semester was to wake up at 6 am each day to start the routine. I would run or do some yoga, then have time for prayer or spiritual reading, then go to class at 8 and start the rest of the day...

That lasted a week.

Now I have a hard time waking up 20 minutes before class because, at best, I don't go to sleep until midnight. Needless to say, I don't get my workout in, and I have a hard time taking time out for prayer and Bible reading. This is a constant struggle for me. Why can't I just do it? If I would take time out for prayer, I would become more aware of God throughout the day. If I would take time to work out, I would have more energy throughout the week. It sounds to me like this should be an easy decision. Just friggin' do it, Marc.

I'll do it tomorrow.

You didn't do it tommorrow.

Ok, next week.

You didn't do it next week, either.

When summer starts, I'll be all over it.

Yeah, right. We'll see...

So what is this thing inside of me that is so lazy? Is it like that little mechanical worm thing in The Matrix? Can I have a surgical procedure to remove it? That would be nice. But I don't think it's possible. Maybe if I ask God to fix me up, that would work. But that hasn't happened yet, either. Paul talks about this in Romans 7, but that doesn't provide me with any practical advice. Maybe Joel Osteen can help me, but then again, maybe not.

This isn't just a problem of not working out or not praying. It's starting to infect my whole life. I've jumped on the lazy train and it's not stopping. Something tells me I'm not completely alone on this one, though. I think I heard someone yelling in the car next to me. Any advice on how to jump off?

No comments: