Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I HAD ONE OF THOSE RANDOM, YET SURREAL 'I LOVE LIFE MOMENTS' TONIGHT

Do you ever see God in the little things? I think,more than anything, it's the little things that keep me in love with life and with God...

Of all the ways that God shows himself, usually the greatest are in the mundane, seemingly everyday things. It's like in I Kings when Elijah expects God to come in the earthquake, and the wind, and all the other 'big stuff,' but he didn't come. Instead he came in the gentle whisper. Some translations might say sheer silence. Anywho, I had one of those moments tonight. You know, one of those moments when you're just sitting there and it's like this wave of joy comes on you, as if God was physically manifested before your very eyes. One of those moments when you're just glad to be alive. One of those moments when you can actually feel the presence of God in a way you've never felt before. One of those moments when you're thankful for everything you've ever been given.

After I'm done rambling and you actually hear the story, you're going to think, "Really? That's it?" And I'll quietly respond, "Yep. That's it."

So I was sitting at my computer as my beautiful wife Shari played with the cat. I was listening to David Crowder on iTunes, and she was chasing the cat up and down the stairs. I just watched.

And then it hit me.

It was one of those instantaneous experiences when a rush of emotions and thoughts and experiences hit you. You're thinking a thousand different things, but at the same time one thing. You're laughing on the inside, yet crying. It's kind of like your mind is floating away from your body. It was kind of like that nervous feeling you get on a first date, or the sheer joy you feel when the doors open and your fiance appears in that beautiful white dress. It was more of a feeling than anything, so I can't really put it to words, but I'll try...

God is here. God is in this thing we call life. God is love. God just is. And God is inside of me, and he is inside of my wife. He is the driving force of our marriage. I am so happy to be alive because I get to try and understand God. And I get to enjoy life in the process. I get to love my wife, and I get to experience her love for me. I get to study and to learn. I get to read and study the scriptures. I get to share my knowledge. I get to work at a church. I get to minister and get paid for it. With all of its faults, God has made the world, and He has made it good. God is in this world, and he is working and he is making himself known. God is good. God is wonderful. God is life. God is our bread, our means, our joy, our hope, our expectation, our strength, our love, our breath, our philosophy, our ideas, our purpose, our reason for living, and on and on and on and on...

Basically, I love God, and I love my wife, and I love life itself.

I'm about to go to bed. I'll probably sleep like a baby.

2 comments:

Attempting To Follow The Way said...

Today I worked nine and a half hours at work, zero exaggeration. When I stayed three and a half hours past my shift, Alyssa looked at me and stopped. All the craziness of the evening rush halted and she looked at me and said so sincerely "thank you." I saw God in that today. When someone is so grateful that I just want to stay and make more money, That is the spirit of God working through her. She truly is an awesome lady and I see God in little ways all teh time at work, and somehow she is always nearby.

Halpin said...

This wife of yours-she loves you, too. So much.