Monday, June 19, 2006

CHANGE IS GOOD

In my last post I noted that my church is on the verge of making some major changes. We'll be looking for a pastor and an education minister, and who knows what direction God will take us? Hopefully, we'll make the right decisions. Change is good, and I'm excited about what God is going to do not only for our church, but also for our ministers who are moving on. If our church makes the right decisions, there is no doubt in my mind that God is going to do some great things with us and with our community.

This whole episode got me thinking about change. About what I need to change in my life and what we as God's people need to change to be more like Christ. Just like my church here in Waco, I think that the American church is on the verge of a major change as well. In my next few posts, I'm going to talk about some things that I think need to change in American churches. Hopefully this can spark some conversation. I like talking about this sort of thing because it convicts me of what I'm doing wrong. Not only that, but if we don't talk about what we're doing wrong it's never going to change. It's kind of like a football team that watches film. In high school I played for a state championship football team, and we watched film of practice every morning and after the games. We didn't didn't do it so much to see what we were doing right. We did it so that we could correct mistakes. The church needs to do something similar. Instead of always trying to defend ourselves, we need to take a step back and honestly try to see where we're going wrong. There are things we need to change, and we need to do so on a large scale. What do you think? Stay tuned and join the conversation.


PS
A New Blog Has Opened. I promise you will enjoy...
Beyond Futility

No comments: