Thursday, June 15, 2006

Not Even Close

Do you ever feel overwhelmed? Sometimes I do. Like right now. I know that I have this huge job to do. I'm supposed to be a minister of Jesus Christ to a bunch of junior high and high school students. I'm supposed to be an example for them of what it looks like to follow the God of the universe. I'm supposed to lead them in their journey with God. I'm supposed to show them what it really means to be like Jesus...

I don't even know if I know what it really means to be like Jesus. I can't swing this. I don't even come close. How am I supposed to do that? I'm too stinkin' lazy and selfish. I am a far cry from a good example of Jesus. Am I really up to this task?

Thank God for grace, and thank God for His power. If I didn't have the desire to follow God, then my situation would be hopeless. The situation I am in gives a whole new meaning to Phil. 4:13: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." If I really, truly, and deeply desire to be like Christ, then God will empower me. If every fiber of my being is devoted to Him, I just might be okay. Maybe the students I am supposed to lead might see something in me. Hopefully it can catch on. Hopefully they will see how the Great and Holy God can change and work in their lives. Hopefully they desire to reach others and show in their lives what it means to follow God. My ultimate prayer for them and for myself is that God is glorified in our lives. Not me, not them. May others see the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ through our ministry, and may he receive all the credit.

"Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, with all of your soul, with all of your mind, and with all of your strength."

No comments: