Monday, August 21, 2006

JAMBALAYA, DAVID CROWDER, AND THE TRAGEDY OF WALKING

This past weekend was a busy one, but a great one. Friday night Truett treated all of the incoming students to Buzzard Billy's. If you don't know, Buzzard Billy's is the local cajun food restaurant here in Waco. It was a catfish buffet type of thing with hushpuppies and other good stuff. I only wish they served jambalaya because I haven't had some good jambalaya in a good while. I can't complain complain, though, because the catfish was excellent, and it was free.

The coolest thing about Friday night was the people we sat by. Things got interesting when Shari and I slowly figured out that 2 of the people live in the Quadrangle apartments, our former home. We also figured out they both lived in our exact apartment. The guy lives in Shari's old place, and the girl lives in my old place. We figured this out because the girl started talking about bugs, and immediately I figured that it was my old apt. We had a disgusting bug problem when we lived there. It was a funny little coincidence.

Then Saturday was the big church mixer thing for all of the incoming freshmen at Baylor. We went out and passed out flyers for our church's college ministry. It was a good time, and we met lots of cool people. Apparently it went really well because we had several college students visit our church this Sunday. Our table was pretty close to UBC, home of the David Crowder Band, and sure enough, THE David Crowder was there. I really wanted to go over there and meet him, but I figured he probably got that all the time, and I didn't want to be "that guy." I'm sure he's a great guy, and I'm sure he loves meeting new people since he's the worship pastor at a church and all, but still, I would have felt funny. I did, however, meet another guy named Adam from UBC who is a Truett student who has a wicked cool blog. He goes to Coco's shaved ice and rates all of the snow cone flavors. Check out his site here. From there, I found another good blog by a friend who is an intern at UBC named Matt Singleton. Click here. Both of these new blogs are on my sidebar.

Add a major mood shift... now.

This week at the youth Sunday School, one of the verses we used was Micah 6:8: And what does the Lord your God require of you? To do justly, love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Sometimes I wonder if I ever really get it right. I do all of this talk on Sunday nights about sharing our faith with our friends, and I talk a lot about giving everything you have to God, but, man, I wish I could it right myself. What happens if I teach our students something wrong? What happens if my words slip in such a way that it influences somebody in a negative light. I guess I just really hope and pray that all that I do comes right back to this wonderful scripture in Micah. I pray that with everything I have I am following God, including my words, my actions, my hopes, my fears, my relationships, etc. I hope and pray that our students grab a hold of this concept, too. I pray that give all that they have to following Jesus.

Tragically, we'll never get it completely right, but it is through the grace of God that we try, and that we can try with all of our hearts.

2 comments:

Attempting To Follow The Way said...

Marc...rest assured buddy...i truly believe that you have never said anything to me or anybody else @ church that God did not lay on yor heart. I know for you have never said anything tha I could have taken in a negative way to me.

no worries man

Halpin said...

it's just that teaching is such a huge responsibility, and we have to be careful of not only what we teach, but how we teach. Especially when dealing with the things of God.

But thanks, bud. All of you guys are awesome.